When it comes to licensing your retail business and acquiring the necessary permits, the process can be complex and daunting. From research time and piles of paperwork to the stress of getting all of the details right, it can be a headache at best and an end to your business at its worst if you don’t get it right.

If you don’t want to risk your business shutting down, we can’t stress this enough – you must have proper licensing from the get-go, otherwise you’re looking at a criminal offense or fines depending on where you live.

Ready to learn more about retail licenses and permits? Check out the most common types and ensure your business is running legally.

Federal Tax ID

First, you need an Employer Identification Number (EIN) for your business. Also referred to as a Federal Tax Identification Number, you can apply for an EIN for free – simply register online before starting any business with retailers.

Business License

Where you live with determine how you register your retail business. Check out your state’s website to find the resources you need to register your new business. Depending on your location, you may also be required to obtain a local business license. To find out more, simply call your city clerk or county’s office to learn about additional licenses and fees, if applicable.

Business Name Registration or DBA Certificate

In order to run your retail business by any name other than your own, you need to act accordingly. While some business licences roll in the name registration, others need a ‘doing business as’ (DBA) certificate. Verify your state’s regulations for proper paperwork and requirements.

Resale Certificate

With a resale certificate, your business can purchase goods tax-free from manufacturers. You’ll then collect sales tax from your customer and pay it to the state that way. In order to operate your retail store this way, you need a resale license or certificate. Each state has its own requirements, so be sure to check your state requirements. When working with vendors, you should expect to provide a copy of your resale certificate prior to conducting business together.

Certificate of Occupancy

Some businesses also require a Certificate of Occupancy; all you have to do is apply, and your property will be inspected by the proper agencies, like the fire department, health or building inspectors.

Professional Licenses

Depending on your industry niche, you may need an occupational license. Some professional industries include pharmacists, optometrists, and hair salons – check with your state’s licensing department.

Additional Permits

In addition to these common retail business permits and licences, we offer the following:

  • Building construction
  • Health permit
  • Signage
  • Special events
  • Zoning
  • SIR reports – Site Investigation Reports

Get started today

In order to set your retail business up for success, you need to start on a strong foundation. Do your research and start filing the necessary paperwork as soon as possible. When planning on deadlines, build padding into your timeframe – delays are a part of the process.

We are the construction industry’s one stop shop for all commercial permitting needs. No matter the location or scope, we manage due diligence, plan review filing and follow through until permit issuance. Our permit specialists offer exceptional customer service and project management. Our team of field scouts handle in-person submittals nationwide.